Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Relationship with Running

I guess it’s very apt that in their latest ad campaign, New Balance describes our connection to running as “a love/hate relationship…a complex and torrid affair…” (In case you haven't seen it yet, here's their new commercial.)


After all, where else in life do we spend so much time on an endeavor where the rewards are so variable. Not only so, but sometimes, as mentioned in my last post, your unrelenting passion and devotion to the sport can lead you to unintended pain and suffering. Although in general I agree with their assessment of our sport, personally, I see running as something a bit more dynamic. Running to me, is not just an action that demands our time and attention, but it possesses a unique personality as well. That’s because on any individual day or any individual run, you never exactly know where you are or what you’re getting out of running. Am I getting faster, or am I just breaking down my body? Should I go for speed today and burn up the road even though I know I’ll be nauseated and out-of-breath at the end, or should I take it slow, run long, and say Hi to every runner that passes me by? I’m running more and faster these days, so why didn’t I PR at my last race? All these questions that have nothing to do with my love or devotion I ask running, but running never answers me back.

That’s why in my mind, running is like a fickle lover who you must spend time with but never promises anything in return. You know in your heart that for the long term, you’re better off with running, but in the here and now, you’re not quite sure what direction you’re heading. Sometimes, running has a good day, and you feel fantastic after just a few minutes on the road. Other times, she’s PMS’ing and you can spend hours running and yet feel horrible afterwards. The worst part is that no matter how she makes you feel today, you know you’ll be back there tomorrow, asking for more of the same, because ultimately, running is always better than no running. (Check out this second ad from the New Balance campaign if you don’t know what I mean!) I just wish she wouldn’t be so damn fickle ALL the time…ugghh!


How about the rest of you runners? Do you have a different/special/unique relationship with running? Please share in the comments. Thanks.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm not at all good at it, but for some weird reason I love it. I've met great people and received great support. I love saying, I ran a 10k race today (I did!). Sometimes I think it is what makes the yucky parts of my life tolerable. All I know is, Thank God I have it.

Mike said...

I agree, life is better with running. Knowing I have a run to look forward to is enough to get me through even my worst day. Thanks, Lam.

Jamie said...

Great post. I love that second commercial. Running and I have broken up a couple times over the years but I think we are just meant to be even though some does he's a real b****.

Nitmos said...

Running, to me, is like the remote control for the LCD HDTV. If I'm in control, I love it to no end. If I'm not, I really not very happy.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for stopping by my site and your comments :) great blog and post... and that commercial really explains my last month! missed running so much after the accomplishment of my first 1/2, and i saw runners everywhere!!! getting back into the 'relationship', but we're taking it slow :) take care.

Frayed Laces said...

Whoa. That first commercial gave me chills. My friends/family don't understand why I have crazy mood swings with running. I think I may have to steal the topic of that commercial for my next post, if you don't mind....the blog cogs are a turning...

Run For Life said...

I hadn't seen the second ad yet...that's hilarious!

I'm with you and Jamie on being unsure of where "the relationship" is sometimes. I'd rather take my chances than break it off because I will always deep down have a love for running.

Nibbles said...

Running used to suck more often before I got into biking and swimming. I find my participation in those two sports heightens my love for running (and makes me better at it).

kara said...

There is a connection between being outside and running aimless for miles that keeps me sane.
I have to run!

Andrew is getting fit said...

I've started to love running as well but running doesn't always return the affection.

Julie D said...

Your blog looks really interesting. I'll keep lookin' around!

 
Clicky Web Analytics