Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Perfect Tenth
Race Report from the 2010 Chicago Marathon
Part I - The Race Result

I've held out from you guys long enough. As you may or may not have found out, yours truly fulfilled a dream goal that I've set out for myself a long time ago. In the mini-microwave of heat that was the 2010 Chicago Marathon, I somehow pulled out a 2:59:55 to earn my first sub-3 hour marathon in my 10th marathon by 5 seconds! In many ways, it was the perfect race for me. In other ways, it was not. In my wildest dreams, I never quite imagined this day would come in one of the warmest marathons i've ever run. Yet I managed a strong pace for the most part and fought like heck when it seemed like all hope was gone. I have so many stories to tell and so many people to thank that it will take me a little while to think, reflect, and put down the details. Bear with me though. I promise to make it worth your while.

In the meantime, enjoy the results and my split times. Thanks for all the spectator/virtual cheers, well wishes, and congratulatory remarks. They were highly appreciated and was thought of during the race!

Final Statistics
Official Time: 2:59:55 (PR by 2:25!)
Average Pace - 6:52 min/mi
Overall Place - 707/36159
Gender Place - 598th
Age Group Place - 81st

Split Times
5K - 20:53
10K - 41:53
15K - 1:03:00
20K - 1:24:10
13.1 M - 1:28:45
25K - 1:45:17
30K - 2:06:39
35K - 2:28:29
40K - 2:50:32

1st 13.1M - 1:28:45
2nd 13.1M - 1:31:10
Positive Split - 2:25

25 comments:

C said...

Well done, Lam! I hope you don't mind, but I stalked you and already knew your result. Was thinking good thoughts for you on Sunday. Glad to see they helped. :)

Questionably Texan said...

Congrats on the sub-3!! That's quite a milestone!

Julie said...

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!! Holy crap Lam! Congrats to you for a freaking fantastic marathon! You did it and I am not surprised:) I am so proud of your huge accomplishment!

J said...

AHH Congrats Lam! You did awesome! All that humid summer training paid off big time!

runner26 said...

outstanding!! can't wait for more details!

Running and living said...

COngrats again! Can't wait for the report! You've worked so hard for this, and you did not let the tough weather get to you. I think you could do 2:50 in cooler temps, no pressure though!

Lindsay said...

Congrats again Lam - you deserved and earned it! I was so proud when I refreshed my screen and saw you had done it, even though you did almost make my heart stop.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! that's huge! and awesome! i'm soooooooo happy for you! (can you tell how excited i am by all the !! hahah)

can't wait to read the deets :)

Anonymous said...

Impressive! Congratulations on your performance! All that training has paid off!

Mark said...

Such an impressive performance in that heat! You put in a lot of hard work to hit that goal...you definitely earned it. I hope to follow in your footsteps and hit that same goal someday. Congrats!

Jen Feeny said...

I am so frigging proud of you and so excited that I got to see you leading that 3 hour group. That's what you were doing right? ;) Can't wait to hear the rest!!!!

Emily said...

CONGRATS on the sub-3 finish. Holy fast! Can't wait to read the full report!

Poundingthe(LA)Pavement said...

Damn Lam,you're awesome!!!! Congrats.

matpedw said...

Congrats!

Long time coming. I love celebrating the victories of a good guy like you. Be proud! You inspire many of us.

Susan said...

Congrats again!!

3:59:59. Bitches. said...

Again, I'm so, so happy for you! You work so hard and I can tell that running truly makes you fulfilled and happy. I am so glad that you accomplished what you wanted on Sunday, and I know that you have many more PRs to come! I owe you a congratulatory beer, sir!

Jamie said...

You rock! So very happy for You! Looking forward to the details.

bobbi said...

Wow...I am in awe. Seriously. That's a freaking fantastic time in some super tough conditions...well done!

cg9m said...

had to be the bandana...do you sell your old ones? j/k. great race! it reflected all the hard work you put in. think that pulled you thru the higher temps. and...you must've sprinted like anything that last bit! i hope to do that someday to break 4 :) thanks for being an inspiration, and nice work!

Sue said...

Excellent job! And when you add in the heat we had to deal with, it is that much more impressive. Congrats!

Sue said...

Excellent job! And when you add in the heat we had to deal with, it is that much more impressive. Congrats!

The Laminator said...

Thanks everyone! Your kind words have always been a source of inspiration for me. They are so appreciated. Thanks.

Pretend this is real said...

Congrats! That's pretty amazing considering the heat. Think what you could have done if it was cool.

pen said...

HOLY MOLY! You are wicked fast! Congrats on an amazing race! And in the hot hot weather this year, no less!

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations! That's terrific!

 
Clicky Web Analytics