Thursday, October 8, 2009

Just Training or Over-Training?

In honor of the NYC marathon announcing bib numbers and starting assignments for its participants today (I'm Blue, Wave 1, #7444, for future reference), I summit to you…

Top Ten Signs That You’re Overtraining for Your Marathon

10. You’re more concerned about the miles you’ll miss than the throbbing pain in your foot.
9. You limp to work everyday and convince yourself and your co-workers that it’s completely okay.
8. You run 15 miles on a Monday but feel as if you should’ve done 20.
7. You start to envy those who are running and NOT training for a marathon.
6. The award for the most overused appliance in your home now goes to the washer & dryer.
5. You consume more calories from GU on a daily basis than you do from solid foods.
4. You know every detail of the lives of running podcasters but need a minute to remember the names of friends and family.
3. You know the planned mileage for the next 20 days but for the life of you can’t remember when you last took a rest day.
2. Even though your weekly mileage far exceed those of your peers, you still convince yourself (and any others who will listen) that you’re really “undertrained” for this marathon.
1. People can’t wait for race day because they’re so ready to run. You look forward to race day ‘cause you’re so ready to NOT!

…and in case you were wondering…this list is in fact somewhat autobiographical in nature. But I’m okay, I really really am!

24 comments:

J said...

I love the one about the Gu...good list!

Anonymous said...

Fun list!

Lindsay said...

and here i thought this was going to be a serious list :)

#10 is why i could not make a "mileage goal" for the year. i knew i'd then jinx myself into an ache and try to push through it anyway w/ my hard-headed stupidity.

excellent list all around!

haha about #2 - i am constantly trying to convince myself that while i haven't done all the quality workouts i need, 50-60 miles/week is still pretty good for marathon training. it's not going too well yet.

#1 is very true right now, but knowing myself the urge to not-run will go away as soon as i cross the finish line.

Anonymous said...

funny list! i love it, my fav is the one of envying those who aren't training for a marathon :)

{will run for margaritas} said...

Love this list!! I think I've decided to run a marathon in 2010 - so I can't wait until 1-10 are about me, too! :-)

YAY - 23 more days - are you ready??!!

Jen Feeny said...

LMAO!!!

Fantastic list and it's always good to realize even your mentor's are as crazy as you are about training! :)

You're going to rock it Lam!

Haliku said...

Too funny and in many cases true. Seems like I buy more 'running cloths' than work cloths. Cheers!

Jamie said...

love the list! you are definitely going to have to remind us of the bib number ;)

B.o.B. said...

Sure..just keep telling yourself that Lam...LOL!

Love the list and hope you are giving yourself those rest days.

I'll have lots of Chicago pics for you all when I get back.

Ms. V. said...

#3 is so me. Obsess about the upcoming mileage. Great list!

Aron said...

haha love the list :)

dont worry, taper is JUST around the corner!!! you are doing awesome Lam!!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha luckily I'm not there (yet). But I'd say my most overused appliance is anything that makes FOOD! Also, I can plan my miles but I almost never know what day it is :)

You're doing great and like Aron said, taper is soon. I think you're going to do so well.

Susan said...

I'm kind of feeling this list right now, even though I'm a bit injured and not currently running! I miss running to run instead of training to run a marathon...

Brandon Wood said...

Nice list! I especially like number four! Speaking of all this training, I may enlist your help in figuring out what to do for Philly after this weekend!

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Sometimes less really is more! Rest rest rest. Love the list and good luck at NYCM!

Running and living said...

V funny! HOnestly, sometimes I feel marathon training is becoming #1 in my life, which is scary, since I work for a living and have a family. I honestly think I could become addicted to running! I hope to be a pro runner in a future life! Take care of those aches and pains...an icepack is on my ITB as I write:)

Michelle said...

Great list. I like what you think about when you think about running!!! :O)

joyRuN said...

Hilarious list :D

I'm getting to the point of #7.

X-Country2 said...

The GU one is funny. I started consuming Bloks as candy just because I could.

Felice Devine said...

Love the list!

Have a great weekend :-)

Spike said...

you are still eating solid food?!? only Gus and quasi-solids like Shot Blocks from now on!

great list!

carpeviam said...

I love this list, and laughed at several as I saw myself in them.

runner26 said...

yes--the washer/dryer one is very real..

sRod said...

You know what's really funny about this? I'd say most of these points would apply to someone who is undertrained too.

 
Clicky Web Analytics