Monday, February 1, 2010

Greetings, Goodbyes and A Secret Revealed

As a general rule, I hate goodbyes - long ones, especially. They do nothing but incite negative emotions, pointless platitudes, and meaningless half-truths from the parties involved. But because I have such strong mixed emotions about this first opening month of the new decade, I feel as if I need to give it a proper sendoff before welcoming on the new month.

So...

Dear January,

Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. What, with the sub-freezing temps at the New Year's Eve Run in Central Park, and the three-day twelve hour weekend shift I had to work that long holiday weekend, I was seriously dreading what you had in store for me for the rest of the month. Although I was expecting some rain, some snow, and one or two colder days, the deep freeze you submerged me into for a couple of the weekends really threw a wrench into both my running and non-running plans. But despite our differences, particularly on what constitute normal weather for this time of year, you've turned out to be a tremendously successful month for me, and now I'm very saddened to see you go. Together, not only did we complete a 50+ mile training week on our way to 175 miles for the month (my highest January total ever!), we also met some new twitter friends, paced another to a PR in a half marathon, and attributed some non-running accolades as well (1st place in 16-team fantasy football, 2nd place in weekly pick'em game). But the achievement I'm most proud of is something that came as a complete surprise to me last week. It is an honor bestowed upon me by an awesome company (Saucony) at the recommendation of an astute runner/blogger (Thanks Dorothy). For as the calendar change to the month of February, I'm now a sponsored athlete.

The secret is now out. I'm an official member of the Saucony Hurricanes! It's been almost a week and I'm still a bit overwhelmed and not exactly sure how my running life will change as a result of this huge honor. I will definitely have more to say about this at a later date. For now, I must bid you adieu and farewell, January! You've been a friend and I've truly benefited from your company. Let's hope February and all the months after can take your cue and bring out the best in me as well. But whatever happens from here on out, this already has been a truly unforgettable year!


Sincerely,

The Laminator

42 comments:

Brandon Wood said...

Congratulations! This is a well deserved and hard wrought honor!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

wow! How cool is that! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I won't say faster since we all know how you feel about that (per your last blog post). =)

CONGRATS!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh! How awesome! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear what it all means for you & your running future. Definitely sounds like a great ending to a not-so-ideal month!

baker said...

congrats! that's really awesome!

Jen Feeny said...

OMG THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I am seriously jumping up in down in my office chair for you! Rock on Lam! You totally deserve that and I can't wait to see what the coming months will bring for you!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

C said...

Congrats, Lam! It's well deserved too. Good on you!

Jake said...

Holy shit, nice work!

Andrew is getting fit said...

That's awesome! Well done.

DailyRunner said...

Congrats! You not only train hard but also intelligently. Well deserved for awesome work.

Michelle said...

WOW LAM!!! Saucony Hurricanes????

MAJOR PROPS!!!!

Congrats to you!! That is pretty awesome news!!!!

jenna is awkward said...

holy crap!!! that's amazing...you are awesome. i'm so proud to know ya! will you sign my shirt? lol. seriously, very cool news and a really worthy guy.

majorcane said...

Congrats!

Ms. V. said...

Holy cow! That is fantastic!! Can't wait to hear how this goes...and you will totally rock their world. They are lucky to have you!!

Jocelyn said...

Sounds like an awesome month! Congrats is in order for you! I can't wait to hear more about it!! :D

Running and living said...

Awesome! I love Saucony's!

Dave B said...

Hey, congrats... that's great! Hope it's a good partnership! [And if you know of any athletic co. that's interested in sponsoring a somewhat overweight, middle-aged, middle-of-the-pack runner, I'm available! ;-) ]

Hope this doesn't intimidate your running club members any more than they already are. Congrats again... 2010 is looking like a great year for you!

Ansky said...

Congratulations! A well deserved honor for a great runner and overall great guy.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Can't wait to hear how it all pans out.

I like how you put your words to January. It's funny; I was having similar feelings towards my January experience and I'm now hoping February goes as well.

Chic Runner said...

LAM! this is so exciting and I'm so happy for you! You totally deserve it and you rock! :) Great job!!! :)

Julie said...

Hi Lam,
Congrats, I am so happy for you!!! Wow, you are the MAN!! You must be elated and have every reason to feel proud of your self! Good luck to you and your future with the Saucony Hurriacanes:) I can't wait to read about all of your wonderful experiences! The letter to January is just as good as poetry:) Have a great week Lam!!

Anonymous said...

Very cool Lam!!! I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

Jamie said...

Contests Lam! Very exciting and much deserved.

Anonymous said...

congrats! that is wicked cool!! you are so awesome :)

Michael M said...

Very, very cool Lam, that is an honor. Like most honors it did not come about without real commitment I am sure, so well deserved too. Congrats...

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations! You are a great choice for their sponsorship -- good for them for choosing you!!

Bridges Runner said...

Congrats, Lam! That's amazing and awesome at the same time. Can't wait to follow your chronicles!

RunMishiRun said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Go Hurricanes! Are you on Dorothy's team??? This is great. Now I will have to bring a Go Saucony Hurricanes poster when I cheer you guys on in April :-)

Teamarcia said...

Congrats on a wonderful and well-deserved honor! Way to make the best of a tough January!

Anonymous said...

I already congratulated you on Saturday nite but I'll say it again here-congratulations!! well deserved :)

Aron said...

sooo excited for you :) congrats lam, you definitely deserve it!

Anonymous said...

That is terrific and well deserved! Congratulations!

Kate said...

Wow, Congrats! That is so amazing :) You deserve it for all your hard work. The Hurricanes are lucky to have you!

Julie said...

Hi Lam,
I just wanted to thank you for your thoughts and words of wisdom on my potential move:) You are such a thinker....you give good advice and I am sure your "real life" friends love you to pieces!!

X-Country2 said...

How cool! What an honor.

Lindsay said...

congrats lam!! i was wondering when the big bucks were gonna start rolling in ;) very cool!

carpeviam said...

Congrats! SO AWESOME!

NY Wolve said...

Hey, that is awesome, and a great deal for Saucony.
What a month too, for such a dreary time (as I look out at the melting snow, on Feb.3.

J said...

Wow that is such exciting news!! what a great honor for you!

monicac2 said...

Wow! Congratulations - can't wait to hear all about it!

Katie said...

Sounds fun! Congrats! Can't wait to hear details...

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

YAYAYAYAYA So happy to have you on the team!! And proud to say I'm your captain ;) GOOOOO SAUCONY!

 
Clicky Web Analytics