Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tapering? Hardly.

On the subway ride home after another busy work day at the hospital, I finally got a chance to think about my upcoming marathon. To be honest, although it may sound as if I’m crazy, I am really glad that I’ve gotten a chance to rest and relax without having to worry about getting my runs in this week. (Case in point…I can’t believe it’s already Thursday and I’ve gotten exactly just one run in this week!)

It’s weird because on the one hand, I’m worried that I’m messing up my tapering and may have lost all the speed and stamina I’ve worked so hard for all summer. Yet on the other hand, I feel like I’m doing a good job allowing my body to rest and my injuries to heal as much as possible. I keep asking myself, am I being lazy or just being smart. What’d you all think?

Tomorrow morning though, I’m due for a speedy tempo run which I’m excited about. It’ll be a test to see if my plantar fasciitis has healed as much as I think it has. I’ve tried simulating running motions in my apartment all week and there hasn’t been any pain, so I’m optimistic. If it all goes well, I’m planning just an 8-10 mile long run this weekend as the final test. I still haven’t gotten the new shoes that I’ve promised myself since last weekend so I’ve got to go by the running store to pick those up tomorrow before my long run.

Gosh, I feel so unprepared for this marathon. But then again, maybe I'm the smart one.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think taking a few days off is a good thing. Especially since plantar fasciitis has shown face. Have a great tempo run.

Make sure you get those new sneakers!!!

J said...

Yes get those new sneakers! I am sure the days off will help you more than you think they will!

C said...

I know next to nothing, but I think rest is good. Yeah, go with that. :)

You'll be just fine. No worries.

Jamie said...

Rest is good. You've gotten amazing quality runs done and taking a couple days off isn't going to hurt your training. Definitely get some new runners soon!

Brian Morrissey said...

you'll be fine. my last marathon, a busy work schedule and some travel left me not running much in the leadup to the race. i healed and had a great race.

you've done the training. trust it. now it's time to make it pay off during the race.

P.O.M. said...

I think sometimes less is more. I definately ran less in my training this year compared to last year. Your body is ready and won't 'forget' speed or stamina!

Julianne said...

Your hard work all summer isn't going to just go away because you only had 1 run this week! I bet your run this morning told you just that. Right?? :-)

Run For Life said...

I'm going to go with smart on this one. How was the speed workout today?

joyRuN said...

Smart. You've been kicking a** all summer. Time to let those muscle fibers rest & realign. Enjoy :)

Anonymous said...

It's always so tough to know if you're being lazy or being smart. I always ask myself the same thing. I worry that sometimes my body tricks me into thinking that it's in more pain than it's really in to keep me from pushing it... But, I think you're being smart. Besides, you're not going to lose fitness just by taking a week off.

runner26 said...

I feel exactly like you! I have rested A LOT in the past 2 weeks. Is this going to be good or bad? Not sure yet. But I'm also hoping tomorrow's 8-10 goes well.

Andrew is getting fit said...

All things considered I think it has to be a good thing.

The Laminator said...

Thanks you all for your insightful comments. I did end up running a great 5-miler and got new running shoes, so I'm all set.

But of course...it's still a week away. Anything can happen.

 
Clicky Web Analytics