Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Leaving (for) Las Vegas

Wow…I can’t believe I’m leaving town in two days.

It’s been a while since I’ve gone out of town. The last time I left the state (not counting a brief excursion to Jersey for a half-marathon) was four months ago, when I went to San Francisco to celebrate my birthday. Coincidentally, I left town that time to run in a marathon too, SFM ’08. I remember being just a nervous wreck the entire week leading up to the race. I did a whole bunch of runs up and down Harlem Hill because I thought that would help me conquer the hilly course. Boy, was I wrong! It didn’t matter though because even though I didn’t run the race as well as I thought I could, I still had a lot of fun visiting the town and seeing the sights from a totally different perspective.

This trip, although it will still involve a marathon, is going to be so much different from that one. For starters, I am not running for time, and so I haven’t been as diligent with my training or my taper as I probably should. I figured that having run NYCM four short weeks ago, I still should be able to tackle the distance without too much difficulty. Secondly, as some of you may know, I’m been coaching a friend of mine, FL, all year to BQ in this race. So in essence, this race will be so much more about her than it is about me. So whether I do a good job will be dependent on if she does a good job, and because I KNOW I’ve been doing a good job, she cannot help but follow suit. Yes, yes, yes. (But it'll help too if you can go over to her blog and send her some last minute encouragement!) Lastly, because this trip is first and foremost a vacation for me, there’ll be plenty of partying...probably much more so than before or after any of my previous marathons.

I don’t know how much blogging I’ll get down when I’m down there so I apologize in advance if this is the last you hear of me for a while. I promise a full recap though when I’m back so don’t you worry. There are also rumblings of another podcast with my voice inside it as well coming out in a week or so. So yes, there’ll be plenty more of me to go around upon my return. I can hear the frightful gasps already…

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

16 comments:

Julianne said...

Good luck this weekend!! It's so cool that you've been coaching FL! You guys are going to have so much fun. :-) Can't wait to read all about it!

Sara said...

have a safe trip and lots of fun! i think its a nice change to do a leisurely marathon once in a while. :)

(did i really just type that?)

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Vegas! And, remember, if you get a bad marathon time, you don't have to say so -- "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." ;-)

Bill Carter said...

Have a great trip!

It was really nice talking to you during the podcast and getting to hang out with some really great runners.

J said...

Good luck this weekend and have with FL! Enjoy the sites and the marathon!

Aron said...

have a great time!!!! i'll be thinking about you guys on sunday!

Brooke said...

Have fun and I can't wait to read about the race (from both of you!) The weather in Vegas is so nice this time of year.

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Vegas. I know FL is going to BQ with your support. I can't wait to read all about the trip.

Cindy said...

have fun at the marathon! i must have been living under a rock- i didn't realize that you were FL's coach. that is so cool. best of luck to both of you!

X-Country2 said...

Good luck to you and super good luck to FL!

Razz said...

You coach??????? I shoulda been a lot nicer to you on the podcasts!

Have a great trip and good luck!

Irish Cream said...

Best of luck, and I hope you have a great trip, Lam!! ;)

joyRuN said...

Have a great trip! And yes - NJ doesn't count for outta town :)

Felice Devine said...

Good luck and have a great trip. I hope you enjoy yourself in Vegas! Can't wait to read the race report.

M*J*C said...

Good luck!!! Have a great time, can't wait for your report!!

Meg said...

Good luck! I hope you get to enjoy Vegas a little bit!

 
Clicky Web Analytics