Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Own Little Game of 20 Questions

First of all, I want to thank all you guys & gals for making it through that last race report and leaving such warm congratulations and nice comments for me. Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed spilling the beans on my races because I know some people cannot get over how fast I run (even if I don’t think I’m really all that fast myself!) and may regard my excessively detailed race reports as arrogance or overindulgence. But honestly though, I try to record the thoughts, sights, and sounds during my races for you all to show that even though our paces might not be the same, our experiences on the road are not entirely all that different. I hope that in between all the verbosity that sentiment came through at least a little bit, even if it was not explicitly stated.

Still, having said that, I’m sure there are probably so burning questions you have had at one point or another about me, my work, my life, my sports, or my running. Perhaps you’ve wanted to know when I started running (hint: it’s on my sidebar) or why I started running (to get fit for basketball season) or what I do in my professional life (I treat kids with hormone problems) or how I got that nickname “The Laminator” (read here). Or maybe it’s something completely random that I can’t even come up with…well, I am giving you all that once in a lifetime opportunity to ask me whatever you want be it about my running, my training, my coaching, my work or a running/training question that doesn’t even deal with me. Leave them in the comments, and once I get about twenty, I’ll compile them and answer them in a little expose’ post about me next week.

I’m looking for some fun and thought provoking questions. If you need some inspiration as to what questions to ask, listen to the latest Phedippidations episode where Steve Runner answers 20 questions about himself posed by his friend Joe Steindl. It was so highly insightful and entertaining, I decided to copy his format here for myself with all of your help of course!

So yes, let me know what you want to know about the Laminator and I’ll let you know all you’ve wanted to know about me early next week. Deal? Good. Let the fun begin!

17 comments:

Georgia Snail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Georgia Snail said...

Have you always run 6 minute miles? What pace were you running when you started?

Running and living said...

You mentioned thinking about learning to swim! Are you considering triathlons in your near future?

Jamie said...

Fun! What recovery steps do you take post LR or post race? Or do you say forget it and have a beer???

Anonymous said...

Sounds silly, but is that you in the "about me" picture? Looks artistic!

Ms. V. said...

how about some inspiration for slower, older runners?

Irish Cream said...

What is the best post-marathon meal you've ever eaten?

Anonymous said...

How do you juggle being a doctor and running? How many time a week do you run?

matpedw said...

What do you do with your finishing medals? I thought they were cheesy nonsense when I was a cyclist. A medal for for finishing? Hmmph!
Now I can't imagine the sense of disappointmet I would have if I didn't get one. Strange turnabout.
What's your whole finishing medal philosphy?

Samurai Running said...

Not a question, just a comment. I thought it was nice of you to be so humble.

Still in the future if you ever feel the need to come down to earth just come run a race in Japan.

The following was written by Brett Larner the host of the blog "Japan Running News"

"There’s a half-marathon near Tokyo in November, the Ageo City Half Marathon, which is just a regular small-town race, nothing special. Except that the Tokyo-area universities use it as a time trial for their 2nd and 3rd-string guys to narrow down the candidates for their Hakone Ekiden teams. No professionals, no top university guys or people from schools outside the Tokyo area, and few top amateurs. Last year I ran 1:13:17 and finished 509th. My training partner ran a low 67 and finished 286th. About 400 people break 70 minutes in that race alone. Obviously this is an exceptional case but if you extrapolate outward to the population at large you get the idea of what it’s like racing here."

All the best with the NYC marathon Lam.

Unknown said...

Do you have an all time favorite place to run?

J said...

Did you run in high school? Track, Cross country? Do you like being on the flyer "team" or do you prefer running just for yourself?

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

It's YOUR blog - you aren't bragging simply explaining how you feel/felt!! Speed is relative :) hmmmm....since everyone is asking running related questions I'll ask one about blogging....why did you start blogging? Do you feel like blogging about your running helps you run better - as in do you feel like you push yourself more because all of us get to read about it??? www.mile-posts.blogspot.com

Matt said...

A while back you said you were reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. What do you think about the book - especially the ideas he reports on about barefoot running and modern maladies caused by running shoes? What's your perspective as someone with a medical background?

Jen Feeny said...

Everyone is doing these Q & A's lately... perhaps I should be a lemming and jump on board too! LOL! Just got back into town and trying to get caught up... heading over to your race recap now... I expect you did amazing...

As for question: Does your work know you are a blogger as well?

Irish Cream said...

Okay, I'm a question whore . . . so I have a couple more for you ;)

Did you always want to be a kid doc? What are the best and worst parts of your job?

Also, do you have any pre-race superstitions/rituals that you ABSOLUTELY have to perform no matter what?

Anonymous said...

how did you get into medicine? was is lifelong dream? a particular course? a personal experience?

how do you balance being a doctor and running? were you a runner in med school? if so how did you balance that?

favorite workout?

so many question! haha

 
Clicky Web Analytics