Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Travel Plans

So today I have some good news and some bad news to report.
The bad news is that it looks like the 54 miles I had planned for this week is not likely to happen. The reason? Well, that’s the good news. I’m taking an impromptu vacay to northern Cali this weekend to watch a cousin of mine walk down the aisle! This is so exciting for me on so many fronts. First, I get to hang out with extended family and cousins who I haven’t seen in quite a while. Second, I get to escape the brutal heat/humidity of NYC, where it’s expected to be in the 90s for the rest of this week. Third, I get to continue my annual pilgrimage to San Francisco, where I’ve been at least once a year for the last five years. And last but not least, I’ll have an opportunity to repeat my epic run from the Ferry Terminal over the Golden Gate Bridge again (I’m hoping anyway!) Yeah, I’m really excited. I haven’t gone traveling in so long that my frequent flyer miles would have expired had I not use them for this trip.
There is no true itinerary for this vacay except for Sunday when the wedding ceremony is taking place. Otherwise, the rest of the time is free for us to do whatever we want. Since most of my family members aren’t as familiar with the city as I, there will most likely be a lot of tourisy things on the agenda. This works for me because then I can sneak off while everyone else is preoccupied and get my miles in. Since I have approximately 33 miles on the schedule for the time I’ll be away, there will be plenty of running adventures to be had, time and weather permitting. I also purposely scheduled a return red-eye flight back on Monday night (instead of Sunday night like the rest of the people) just so I have a backup day for my 20-mile epic run if I can’t find time to get it in over the weekend. Yeah, I'm overprotective of glorious long runs like that.
While we're on the subject of summertime vacays, as I was arranging last minute travel details yesterday, I got a little overzealous and scheduled my next running vacay after San Fran as well. Although it’s been in the works for a while, I finally overcame my own commitophobia and registered for the Honolulu Marathon yesterday as well as a bunch of local (Queens, Staten Island) and not-so-local (Philly) halves. You heard right folks. I’ll be traveling to Hawaii in mid-December and running in yet another marathon with my female counterpart, FL. This year, just like it was at Vegas last year, she’ll be racing her marathon while I’ll be taking mine easy after NYC (although a challenge from a club member has already been issued…sigh!). Either way, we hope to be hitting the beach and consuming lots of fruity alcoholic beverages in celebration right after the finish. Heck, I might even start the celebratory drinking before the finish...you never know. Omigosh, it’s going to be such a blast! I can hardly wait. (For all the Philly people who I was intending to meet at your ‘thon, don’t fret. I’ll still be there, running the half, and cheering all of you on. Party at Broad Street anyone?)
But first things first…so how many sets of running clothes will I need for my trip to SF if I’m going to be there for five days? I’m going to bring four hoping to use three. With each set, I guess I’ll have to bring matching bandanas. And shoes? Probably just one pair of runners although two would be ideal. Should I go with the older pair of NB that can double as trail shoes or my newer Brooks pair that I haven’t quite broken into yet? Gosh. I’m having such a tough time deciding what to bring that I don’t know how the frequent business travelers among you all do it. Seriously, I think I’ll need to hold a marathon packing session just to get going!
Hope you all have a great rest of the week and weekend. I’m going to work on a series of posts on speed training for marathoners (tailored individually for newbie, intermediate and veteran ‘thoners) while I’m on the plane so look out for that. I’ll talk to you all when I’m online again on the other side of the country! Happy Running!

22 comments:

Croughwell said...

It's pretty cool that you are coming to Hawaii. The Honolulu Marathon will be my first.

joyRuN said...

Safe travels!

Have a great time & happy SF running :)

Katie said...

Your little vacation sounds like fun! I love running in different places. I'd love to take a vacation to San Fransisco just to run there!

I have trouble packing for trips too. It's funny. Even if I'm only going for a day and I know I won't have time to run, I'm still compelled to bring running stuff. Because you just never know, right?

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip. Your plans so very exciting! And the epic run sounds just awesome; enjoy!

Anonymous said...

You have some great trips planned. Running the Honolulu marathon is going to be so fun! What great places to run. Safe travels Lam.

Anonymous said...

have a great trip! and i always have trouble packing for trips too and end up wayyy overpacking. mostly running stuff because i want to be prepared for anything ha

Jen Feeny said...

1. Have a fab time with the Fam and get your run on boy!

2. I'm so excited that you're going to Hawaii and running with FL again, that's a race report worth holding my breath for!

3. I am dying laughing about your packing situation!!!! Good to know deep down you really are human! :P

Felice Devine said...

How cool! Have a great trip to Cali -- have fun at the wedding and enjoy your runs.

And, Hawaii! Yippee for you!

Anonymous said...

My running stuff always takes up half the space in my bag, haha. Enjoy your trip-- running in SF is so much fun. Enjoy those hills though...

Teamarcia said...

Enjoy your trip and pack light!

Chic Runner said...

That will be so fun to run in Hawaii! :) And SF! My favorite place! I'm jealous of all these fun races you have planned. :0

Susan said...

I have ZERO packing advice since I took three running outfits for my one run last weekend...but I hope you have an awesome vacation!

I just looked up the Honolulu Marathon...that is CRAZY expensive!

B.o.B. said...

Have a great time in SF. It sounds awesome. And I may need to follow your lead and head to Hawaii. That is my type of destination marathon. FUN!

Lindsay said...

well if you had your priorities straight over half your suitcase would be dedicated to running like mine... ;) not having to dress up for work helps with that though.

have a safe and fun trip! maybe i can redeem my mileage this week. hmmm yeah feel free to tour and hang out with family as much as you can! :)

Running and living said...

Awesome plans! Can't think of better places to run than SF and Hawaii (in the winter). Have fun! Ana-Maria

Aron said...

sooo fun! have a great trip!! hmmm i wonder if i can swing a run in SF this weekend... :) if i do i will keep an eye out for you!!

Unknown said...

It is so fun planning vacay/marathon trips. Your plans are inspiring me to think about some of my own!

J said...

This really is very exciting news! i am so jealous you are going to run in cali and hawaii! Honestly i think some of my favorite runs have been in new places just because its an adventure!!

Jamie said...

last minute trips are the best! although the packing does suck. have a blast and enjoy the change of scenery (and temps!)

Robert James Reese said...

Have fun out in California. I'm sure the change in running scenery will be nice.

Irish Cream said...

Oh yay! You're running Honolulu! That was almost going to be my first marathon way back in the day. I think it just seems like SUCH a fun destination marathon! That reminds me that I need to add it to the list--maybe next year?

Hope you had fun in San Fran! Wilson and I may be moving out there in a year or so, so you'll have to come visit us and get some more good Bay Area runs in ;)

Michelle said...

Awesome Leslie! Have a great time in San Fran and Hawaii!!! Good luck in the marathon!

 
Clicky Web Analytics