Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Welcome Back:
Pacing the LTR

I wasn’t quite sure how the day would turn out when I found myself at the head of the 7:30 pace group at the NYRR Long Training Run (LTR) early this morning in Central Park. Although I, along with a couple of my Flyer teammates, were responsible for leading a group of runners through four loops of the park for a total of 20 miles, I was not at all confident of my abilities to accomplish this mission. Given that my longest distance run to date since the Boston marathon has been one 16-miler 2 months ago and my running overall over the past week and a half has been slow and uninspired, I wondered aloud if I had enough stamina to handle the distance, much less carry a brisk 7:30 min/mi pace for the duration of the run. Still, since I signed up for this way in advance and didn’t want to rescind from my responsibilities, I managed to show up at the starting line ready to run and lead the pace. Just in case however, I warned my partners that I might drop off at the end of sixteen miles if I find myself struggling to keep up.

Well, as it turns out, the running gods must have heard my silent prayers because I passed my first long run test of this training season in flying colors. Not only did I finished my first 20 miler of the summer and maintained between a 7:08 and 7:33 pace for the duration of my travels, but I also kept my heart rate down and ran so comfortably that by the end I felt strong enough to have tackled another 6.2 miles if asked to. To be honest, it was largely because we had a picture perfect running weather in the city this morning. But running with a group and having others to pull you along also definitely contributed to my positive experience. I am not completely sure I could’ve handled the distance if I was just hammering out the miles on my lonesome. The conversations were minimal in our small running group, but the feeling of comadarie was evident as we reminded each other every so often to slow down the pace whenever we felt we were pushing too hard.

At the end of run, quite a few runners came up to me and thanked my personally for guiding them around the park at a steady pace. I sheepishly grinned and accepted their appreciation, although I felt as if they were every bit as motivational for me as I was for them. I doubt I would even have been out there running 20 miles today if I hadn’t signed up and hadn’t challenged myself to step up to the plate. The funniest compliment I heard while running today was from a slower and older woman runner who, as we were running past, exclaimed, “In my mind, you are what I see when I close my eyes. Go, fast people!” It was such a nice thing to say and made us all run a little straighter and a little faster.

After this experience, I think I’m finally back to running strong and running well again…as least I hope I am. I’ll post my grid tomorrow so you all can keep tabs on my progress, or lack thereof. I have high hopes that I’ll be able to get in a strong longish run tomorrow run to celebrate the third anniversary of my running blog and my 34th birthday. We’ll see in the morning if my legs (and the weather) will get with the program. Hope everyone is having a fantastic running weekend!

18 comments:

X-Country2 said...

I love running groups. Have a great weekend!

Running and living said...

Amazing run, and so far in advance to NYC marathon. Awesome! Enjoy your birthday tomorrow, Ana-Maria

Jen Feeny said...

Great job on your run! I would've never doubted you for a minute! Have a Happy Birthday Lam!!!

J said...

Hopefully you were able to get out for your run and miss the rain! It was really pouring here! I am glad that your 20 miler went so well - it really is great when things go so well!! Happy Birthday!

Bill Carter said...

HI LL

You don't give yourself nearly enough credit as a runner.

Great job on the 20 miler and I know you had a whole bunch in reserve if it was needed.

Take care.

Irish Cream said...

Awesome job on the 20-miler! LOVE that woman's comment! Hope you're having a happy birthday!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday! It is so nice to hear you being excited and positive about running again. Sounds like this long run was just what you needed.

Biscuitman said...

great run - right on the money pace wise to build for a sub 3hr marathon in November

PS Happy Birthday

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a great one!

Awesome job on the 20!!

Aron said...

you are awesome!!! great job on the 20 and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

audgepodge said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you were a great pace leader. And haha, my running group doesn't even have a 7:30 pace group :D

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute compliment. Great job-- I'm sure everyone appreciated you pacing them through 20 long miles. It's always better to have friends out there!

chris mcpeake said...

Group runs rule. Happy bday

Spike said...

well done. I love when the running gods listen and you get an amazing long run. congrats on the great run.

Lindsay said...

dude. so what if i run more miles. i'd rather have your speed! :) nice job on the 20!!

and happy birthday!!

Chic Runner said...

Awesome job... seriously. I would die for those splits! :) Hope you had a wonderful weekend and a wonderful birthday!!!

Michelle said...

Very nice Lam. You are incredibly motivating and lucky peeps got to run with you!!

Your awesome!

Happy 34th birhtday!

sRod said...

Groups bring out the best in everyone--heck I've done some of my best long runs with groups! SOunds like you're getting in tip top shape.

 
Clicky Web Analytics