Monday, August 11, 2008

Virtual Race Report for My 8M for 8/8 Run

In celebration of 8/8/08, otherwise known as the inauguration of the Beijing Olympics, I ran a virtual 8 mile race today, compliments of Nancy, who is by far the best virtual race director ever. I didn’t have very high expectations going into this race for several reasons. First and foremost, I had just completed a full marathon 7 days ago, and according to so-called experts, running a race less than two weeks out is a definite no-no. Also, I was less than 24 hours removed from a long-ish run with the New York Road Runners and my Flyer teammates yesterday for Summer Streets. Furthermore, I haven’t even ran faster than 7:40 min/mile or longer than 6 miles since San Francisco. But being that this was a great occasion for a run, and the fact that my brother was home from college and was inspired to run 1 of those miles with me, I went ahead with it anyway.

I’ll skip the race details because realistically, it kinda sucked. We went out too late, it became too hot, I lacked motivation to run after 4 miles, and I labored to keep my pace after going out too fast in the first mile way too fast…yada, yada, yada. Still, I’m glad I went out there and got my miles in, so that afterwards I felt absolutely no guilt in just laying around the sofa all afternoon and watching our athletes compete for Olympic goal. Go U.S.A. (Oh, and go Nancy, for organizing this race!)

Oh, yeah, by the way, my unofficial official time for 8 miles was 0:54:26, which equates to 6:48 min/mile. Again, not my best effort, but it’ll have to do for this day! Hope everyone else had a good race and a good time. Can't wait to read all the race reports!

5 comments:

runner26 said...

lam--still a great eight! And you are still in recovery (probably a good reason that it sucked). Maybe take a day or two off?

nyflygirl said...

I agree with runner26...last week shoulda been an easy/recovery week for ya :) I'm sorry I didn't get to run with ya on Saturday, seems like everyone got so scattered once we got to the start!! Glad you had a good run though.

Nitmos said...

Yes, I was hoping the SF marathon would undermine your 8/8 effort. ;)

Great race report, BTW.

Nancy said...

So much for recovery, Lam. That was a nice 8. I really didn't think you'd even be in after the marathon but sounds like you've been busy. Glad you are feeling good enough to do all this running!

Thanks much for the bribery, I mean compliments and thanks so much for joining us!!

Nanc

sRod said...

"my unofficial official time for 8 miles was 0:54:26, which equates to 6:48 min/mile. Again, not my best effort, but it’ll have to do for this day!"

I aspire to say that one day.

 
Clicky Web Analytics