Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What Do You Believe?

…because today, on the historic inauguration of our 44th president, signifies not only a celebration of our national heritage, but a promise of a new America and a new freedom…

Today’s post comes to us from a seven-year-old named Tarak McClain, who was born in Thailand but lives in Austin Texas. Last year when he was six, he was asked by his teacher on the 100th day of kindergarten to bring in a hundred things. But while the other kids in his class brought in a hundred cotton balls, pecans, and Cheerios, Tarak brought in a list of his 100 beliefs.

Below is an excerpt of his list…but instead of reading it, you should really hear the author recite the list himself [Click on the Listen Now button in here]...it's really worth a listen.

Thirty Things I Believe
by Tarak McClain
  1. I believe life is good.
  2. I believe God is in everything
  3. I believe we’re all equal.
  4. I believe we can help people.
  5. I believe everyone is weird in their own way.
  6. I believe hate is a cause for love.
  7. I believe that when I meditate I feel peaceful.
  8. I believe we should be generous.
  9. I believe brothers and sisters should be kind to each other.
  10. I believe kids should respect their parents.
  11. I believe I should not whine.
  12. I believe people should wake up early.
  13. I believe people should go outside more.
  14. I believe in nature.
  15. I believe people should use less trees.
  16. I believe we should help the Arctic and rainforest animals.
  17. I believe people shouldn't throw litter on the ground.
  18. I believe people should not smoke.
  19. I believe God is in good and bad.
  20. I believe in magic.
  21. I believe people should not give up.
  22. I believe love is everywhere.
  23. I believe that God helps us to have a good time.
  24. I believe we live best in a community.
  25. I believe we can protect people in danger.
  26. I believe we should help the poor.
  27. I believe it's OK to die but not to kill.
  28. I believe war should not have started.
  29. I believe war should stop.
  30. I believe we can make peace.

*This article was inspired by the “This I Believe” series from NPR, and can be found [here]

To this wonderful and inspiring list, (my personal favorites are #1, #5, #13, #21, #22, #24 and #27) I'd just like to add one of my own:

  • I believe we should listen to our children more.

Hope you all can find time today to think about what you believe on your runs today.

11 comments:

Run For Life said...

Awww, such a smart and thoughtful kid so many people could learn from his list. What a cutie!! Thanks for sharing this.

C said...

What an amazing kid. I'm floored.

Anonymous said...

So wise for only seven years old...and so inspiring!

joyRuN said...

From a kindergartner - adults should be so wise.

Frayed Laces said...

I believe Lam gives out more warm and fuzzies than prescriptions.

Julianne said...

He's only 7 years old?? Wow. He has a bright future ahead of him!

Andrew is getting fit said...

From the mouthes of babes.

Felice Devine said...

Terrific post. I really enjoy that program on NPR, although half the time I end up crying by the end.

Thanks for the prompt for where my mind can wander during my next run!

Nancy said...

Very nice. I like your addition. Every once in a while I realize how much I have to rush the kids around all the time. I try to make an effort just to be with them and enjoy them. It reminded me of that.

Meg said...

Great post! I heard that on NPR and thought it was terrific. Kids can come up with the most hopeful and innocent things, we really should listen to them more!

sRod said...

Wow...definitely soemthign I'll be thinking about on my next long run.

 
Clicky Web Analytics