Thursday, November 5, 2009

Meb – Fast; Race Report - Not so much…

Don’t worry folks, I haven’t jumped off the Verrazano (is it even possible to jump off the Verrazano?) or donated all my running shoes to Shoes4Africa or the Salvation Army (although I did give them both an old pair) as a result of my latest disappointment in the NYC marathon. Truthfully, I’m more disturbed by the Yankees winning the World Series for the 27th time than anything that went down on Sunday. (Yeah, congrats to those bozos, I guess…) My blogosphere absence the last few days is more work related than anything, and although I’m still a bit torn between accepting congratulations for completing another NYCM all week and expressing my personal disappointment on my own time, I have already begun the monumental task of compiling a multi-part race report (complete with pictures!) to share with the rest of the running world. It will not be easy and probably slightly embarrassing to actually described what actually happened in the last 10K of the marathon but I’m hoping it will be a bit cathartic, therapeutic and inspire everyone who will read it not to make similar mistakes going forward.

In the meantime, thanks for all the condolesences and kind words. Although the thoughts were very much appreciated, the tremendous public outcry was a bit embarrassing. I felt as if I was in a funeral procession or retiring from the sport of running! Okay, maybe I was a bit too poignant and melodramatic in posting my time and describing my emotions right after the race. We’ll call it even. I truly, truly enjoyed reading all the comments though, especially those who’ve been readers but never said hi before. Thanks for de-lurking!

Finally, congratulations to Meb Keflezighi for winning the NYC marathon and bringing the title back to the U.S. for the first time in 27 years! It was completely awesome to watch the race on DVR and see him surge ahead entering Central Park and finish so strong in the end. His last mile was run in 4:45? Omigosh. If I can do that for just one stand-alone mile I’d be in running heaven. I am in awe, thoroughly and completely. Oh, and his performance on Letterman dishing out the Top Ten was spot on and completely hilarious as well. (I just wonder how many of those thoughts he actually had while running through the streets of New York City…maybe #5 and #1 ? )

22 comments:

Spike said...

glad you are back! I know how disappointing a 'good' marathon time can be—we all hold ourselves to our expectations, for better or for worse.

you inspire us regardless, and I can't wait to see the race report.

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Lam - I tried emailing you but it didn't work?! Will you email me at milepostsbydorothybeal@gmail.com? I want to ask you something!

Georgia Snail said...

Lam, Thanks for keeping it real....glad to see you are back...Goals are goasl, if you run six minute miles or nines...it still hurts when you fall short...

Jamie said...

glad to hear you didn't give away all your running gear. that would be a shame. i know how disappointing it can be to miss goals but if you learn something to apply to the next race it's a positive. looking forward to the multi-part race report!

Lindsay said...

alright speedy friend, pick yourself up and piece yourself back together. enjoy the downtime (from running at least) and get your new york thoughts together! i wanna hear about it already! :)

Running and living said...

Lam, I can't wait to hear details about your race. I have learned so much from you and really admire your dedication and talent!

Aron said...

i cant wait for your report! they are always the best, no matter what the outcome of the race was. so hurrrry!

glad you are back though, i totally know how you are feeling, and just gotta take the time and move on.

Malecia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Malecia said...

Good to see you're back! Can't wait for the report. I'm in suspense over here.

Nitmos said...

I always hate those tremendous public outcries. Get 'em all the time and they are very embarrassing. Oh, and the papparazzi!!!!

Great race! They can't all be gems. Nice job.

Irish Cream said...

Aw, you are totally allowed to be disappointed, Lam. We just love you too much to see you really beat yourself up over this . . . because when it comes right down to it, shit happens during marathons, and all you can do is hang on the best you can.

Also, thanks for posting the video of Meb on Letterman! He is so adorable, I just want to squeeze him!! That was probably creepy, but whatever. He is just so cute and little!! :)

J said...

Haha that is hilarious! Thanks for posting that!

Anonymous said...

You're allowed to take a moment or two for yourself. I look forward to reading your report when its ready!

Unknown said...

Love the post and your humor, it's spot on. BTW - I'm needing a reflective singlet, if your still in the mood to donate stuff. :)

Robert said...

That video was hilarious. Thank you for sharing. I hadn't seen it yet.

And, I'd say your Mets will be there soon, but they probably won't... :-) Go Yankees!

Susan said...

I have my coffee all ready to sip through your race report, so get them up fast! Always exciting, no matter what the race/outcome.

Yay Meb!

Chic Runner said...

Lam, I cannot wait for your report!!!!

Glad your back and believe me I know what you mean needing a break. :)

Anonymous said...

I always like how you write what you feel. It is your blog! However, I will always think you are a superstar runner!

X-Country2 said...

Can't wait to read the report. I always learn something from your reflectiosn.

Marathon Maritza said...

I know it's disappointing to not get the time you wanted, but your day will come....just keep kicking ass like you do!

I'm so sad I didn't see you while I was in NYC, but I was pretty much cheering from 11am-3pm so I'm nearly positive you MUST have heard my cheers at some point. They were for you. :)

Can't wait to read your report!

B.o.B. said...

Glad you are feeling better Lam. I am proud of you and know you'll be back. :)

Love this top ten list. Letterman rules!

sRod said...

1. I too am upset by the Yankees. I couldn't believe when I heard people saying "it's been soooooo long since they've won." Nine years people--do they realize that other clubs are still waiting for their first WS championship???

2. I'm looking forward to the pictures! Perhaps my work makes the cut?

3. Hey. You said you were totally cool talkinga bout your embarassing running moments. So dish it out!

 
Clicky Web Analytics